Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pumpkins, Paleo and a Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!!!  (the best holiday ever!) Unfortunately, given that candy is public enemy no. 1 on Paleo, I'm not going to be stuffing my face with Mars and Nestle products tonight; however, I think I can still manage to enjoy my favorite holiday.

Candy aside, there is another fall treat I am allowed to indulge in : pumpkin. Since day one on Paleo, I have been dying to make something fall-worthy, and I found a recipe for Paleo Pumpkin Bars which I modified to suit my own tastes. I have made three batches of the bars in the week and a half since I started Paleo. I'm officially addicted.



For anyone who wants to join my in my epic quest for pumpkin, here is the recipe :

Paleo Pumpkin Spice Bars

1/2 c. Pumpkin Puree (or similar squash)

1 c. Almond Meal (flaxseed meal works as well, but makes the bars far more savory)

2 Large Eggs

2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (the real, grade A, dark amber kind)

1 Tbsp Raw Honey

1 tsp Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1/4 tsp Nutmeg

1/4 tsp Ground Clove

1/4 tsp Allspice*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a large bowl, and pour into a greased 8 x 8 baking pan. Bake for 28-35 min, or until an inserted toothpick removes clean. Devour without shame.

*many people may want to include Cinnamon in this recipe, but I'm not a fan, so its not included here

Now, as for the rest of Paleo, the non-pumpkin part, I will have to admit that, at the moment, I am underwhelmed. For my personal tastes, a Paleo diet leaves much to be desired. I am hungry all the time, I crave foods I'm not allowed, and on top of that, I have actually gained weight since I started a week ago. (not that I really mind, but isn't the point of Paleo to lose weight?)

Now, I am willing to shoulder much of the blame for my issues with Paleo, as I do not eat ninety percent of the meats the diet advocates. However, even with the added variety of a full complement of proteins, it is very easy to get bored on Paleo. My mother, meat eater as she is, has found she is already tired of the restrictiveness of the Paleo diet.

On the other hand, I do find Paleo to be much more athlete friendly than Atkins; I have had the energy to get out and run, even if it just ends up making me more hungry. I enjoy the demand to eat lots of fresh foods, and I'm happy with how many fruits and veggies I get to consume on a daily basis. My mom has said she has already lost weight on Paleo, and finds she has fewer hunger issues than I do. For her, Paleo allows her to eat enough to find satiety.

I think perhaps if I were to follow Paleo to the full extent of its theories, I might find I enjoy it more than I currently do, but its too late to go back now. Hopefully, I'll be able to resist the bowl of Halloween candy tonight, but my willpower has already waned considerably. Perhaps the magic of Pumpkin Bars can help me make it through.


No comments:

Post a Comment