Monday, October 14, 2013

Its OWL time! I should have studied.

After the first week on Atkins Induction, I was pretty concerned about my weight, so I decided to switch to the second stage of Atkins, known as OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss). OWL allows me to eat nuts, seeds, berries, soft cheese and yogurt in addition to the Induction list of foods. I still have to eat less than 45 grams of carbohydrate each day, but that number seems so much bigger after having spent a week on 20 grams per day. For the last week, I have dined on full-fat greek yogurt for breakfast, snacked on raspberries, and devoured roasted almonds on every break in between my classes.

I felt like a kid in a candy factory, as in a crazy, magical, chocolate-river, sugar-teacup kind of place. Just being able to eat these three foods made me ecstatic. Add to that the ability to drink beer (which is allowed in moderation) and I'm feeling the best I have in days. My weight loss has slowed, and I'm a bit less cranky. All that said, I'd like to share what has become one of my favorite meals in the last two weeks, an Atkins-friendly version of a tuna salad. 



Sriracha Avocado Tuna Salad

7 oz. can chunk light Tuna in water, drained

1/2 Haas Avocado

1/2 c. chopped Cucumber

1 stalk chopped Celery

1/2 tsp cumin

1-2 Tbs lemon juice

1/4 tsp Sriracha chili sauce (or more depending on how hot you like it... rawr)

salt and pepper to taste

Mash the avocado in a large bowl, mix in tuna, cucumber, celery, lemon juice, spices and Sriracha. Grab fork. Eat.

nom nom nom... halfway gone


The only downside to all of this OWL wonder is that it have become increasingly annoying to exercise, in particular to get out and run. My body has completely depleted its reserves of glycogen (the stored form of glucose, one of the most readily available forms of fuel in the body) and is now using mostly ketone bodies from breaking down fat. Running feels like hell, particularly after a mile or so when what little glucose I have in my blood has been used up. Ketone bodies are a decent form of fuel for many of the bodies organs, but not as much for the brain or for the muscles. That runner's wall that I normally hit after three to five miles is now coming up much sooner. I do not like it. I've been using it as an excuse to be lazy. 

I'm looking forward to Paleo, which as a part of its athlete-friendly program, encourages a higher consumption of carbohydrates and demands a much higher level of physical activity. I have one week until the switch. No more being lazy for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment